Good lighting is a crucial component of any interior design project. It sets the mood and creates ambiance, enhances the visual appeal of a space, and even affects our physical and mental well-being. In this article, we'll use the BAB (Before, After, Bridge) method to explore why investing in quality lighting is essential to creating a comfortable and inviting space.
Before: Assess the Needs of the Space
Before you begin investing in quality lighting, it's important to assess the needs of the space. Here are some questions to ask:
- What activities will take place in the room? Different tasks require different types of lighting. For example, reading requires task lighting, while relaxing requires ambient lighting.
- What is the natural light source in the room? Natural light should be taken into account when planning lighting fixtures and bulb choices.
- What is the color scheme and decor style of the room? Lighting fixtures should be selected to complement the color scheme and decor style of the room.
After: Choose Quality Lighting Fixtures and Bulbs
Once you have assessed the needs of the space, it's time to select quality lighting fixtures and bulbs. Here are some factors to consider:
- Function: Determine what type of lighting is needed in the space, such as ambient, task, or accent lighting.
- Quality: Invest in quality lighting fixtures that will stand the test of time and provide consistent performance. Look for fixtures made with durable materials that will last.
- Energy efficiency: Choose energy-efficient bulbs that will help reduce electricity costs while also being eco-friendly.
- Dimmers: Dimmers can help adjust lighting to fit the mood and activity of the room.
Bridge: Complete the Look with Lighting Accessories
After you have chosen the right lighting fixtures and bulbs for the space, it's time to complete the look with lighting accessories. Here are some ideas:
- Lampshades: Choose lampshades that complement the style of the room and soften the light.
- Lamp bases: Select lamp bases that fit the style of the room and complement the lampshade.
- Lightbulbs: Consider decorative lightbulbs that will enhance the overall design of the room.
Investing in quality lighting is essential to creating a comfortable and inviting space. By assessing the needs of the space, choosing quality lighting fixtures and bulbs, and completing the look with lighting accessories, you can create a visually stunning and functional room that enhances your daily activities and promotes overall well-being. So, don't be afraid to spend a little extra on quality lighting fixtures and bulbs - your space will thank you!
You will find many other interior design tips in our Top 50 Best Kept Secrets Used By Interior Designers to Transform your Space.