Using wallpaper strategically is a fantastic way to enhance your interior design by adding personality, texture, and visual interest to a space. Whether you want to create an accent wall or introduce a unique pattern or texture, wallpaper offers endless possibilities for transforming your room. In this article, we'll explore how to use wallpaper strategically using the BAB (Before, After, Bridge) method to make a bold statement in your home decor.
Before: Assess the Space and Identify Goals
Before diving into the world of wallpaper, it's essential to assess the space and identify your goals for using wallpaper strategically. Consider the following factors:
- Purpose of the room: Determine the purpose of the room and how you want it to feel. Are you looking to create a focal point, add texture, or infuse a particular style or theme? Understanding the purpose will help guide your wallpaper selection.
- Existing decor and color scheme: Take note of the existing decor and color scheme in the room. Consider how the wallpaper will complement or enhance the overall design and ensure it harmonizes with the other elements in the space.
- Scale and proportion: Consider the size and scale of the room. Larger patterns or bolder designs may work well in spacious areas, while smaller patterns or subtle textures might be more suitable for smaller rooms.
After: Select and Apply Wallpaper Strategically
Once you have assessed the space and identified your goals, it's time to select and apply wallpaper strategically. Follow these steps to achieve the desired results:
- Choose the right pattern or texture: Select a wallpaper pattern or texture that aligns with your goals and complements the room's style. Whether you prefer bold geometric patterns, delicate floral motifs, or textured finishes like grasscloth or faux brick, choose a design that resonates with your aesthetic vision.
- Decide on the placement: Determine where you want to apply the wallpaper strategically. Consider using it to create an accent wall, highlight architectural features like alcoves or niches, or even line the back of bookshelves for an unexpected touch.
- Measure and prepare: Measure the wall(s) where you plan to apply the wallpaper, ensuring you have accurate dimensions. Prepare the wall surface by cleaning it thoroughly and repairing any imperfections before applying the wallpaper.
- Install the wallpaper: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the wallpaper carefully. Whether it requires adhesive or is peel-and-stick, take your time to ensure proper alignment, smooth application, and removal of any air bubbles.
Bridge: Achieve Cohesion and Balance
To achieve cohesion and balance within the space, consider the following tips:
- Complement existing decor: Ensure that the wallpaper complements the existing decor and color scheme in the room. Consider how it interacts with the furniture, flooring, and other design elements, aiming for a cohesive and harmonious visual composition.
- Maintain balance: If using wallpaper on an accent wall, consider the balance within the room. Ensure that the surrounding walls and decor do not overpower or clash with the wallpapered wall. Let the wallpaper shine as a focal point while maintaining a balanced overall design.
- Consider lighting: Take into account how lighting interacts with the wallpaper. Different lighting conditions can alter the appearance of patterns and textures, so observe how natural and artificial light sources affect the overall ambiance.
Using wallpaper strategically is a powerful tool to elevate your interior design. By assessing the space, identifying your goals, selecting the right pattern or texture, and installing it with care, you can create an accent wall or add texture and interest to transform a room. Achieve cohesion and balance by complementing existing decor, maintaining visual balance, and considering lighting conditions. Let your creativity guide you as you embark on this exciting design journey, and enjoy the transformative power of wallpaper in your home.
You will find many other interior design tips in our Top 50 Best Kept Secrets Used By Interior Designers to Transform your Space.